I know. I know. That is a pretty hefty title and you may be thinking that it’s a little over the top but… you would be wrong. Sorry. Having eaten a mostly plant-based diet for most of my adult years, I can tell you that I have tasted many different meat substitutes and most have left me feeling let down.
But not this one! I have finally created a taco “meat” that I come back to again and again. It is superbly tasty, amazingly easy to fix and has a great texture. The very best thing about this recipe – it can be made with only four simple ingredients. Yes! Only four!
This has become an almost weekly easy and quick meal for me to cook for Al when I’m in a hurry. I always have the ingredients on hand to make the meat and I use whatever vegetables hanging around to use as toppings. This combination of ingredients (maybe minus the taco seasoning) could be used for just about any recipe that would call for ground beef.
- I use a package of taco seasoning for a couple of reasons.
- I found one that I really like – Simply Organic
- I usually make this recipe when I am short for time.
- Turn the fork upside down and use a shredding motion to crumble up the tempeh.
- If you don’t have access to a maitake mushroom, don’t fret, just get whatever kind of mushroom you can.
Vegan Taco Meat
Yield: 6-8 tacos
Total time: 20-25 minutes
- 8 oz package of Tempeh – crumbled
- 1 onion – diced
- 1 Maitake mushroom – chopped
- 1 packet of taco seasoning
Turn the stove to medium-high heat under a skillet. Add two tablespoons of your favorite cooking oil and let it get hot.
Add the onions, tempeh and mushrooms. Sauté all, stir frequently (every 30-60 seconds) until the tempeh is nicely browned – about ten minutes.
Add taco seasoning and stir until evenly distributed. Add some water – no more than ¼ cup and continue to stir. Cook for an additional minute.
Remove from heat and serve.
I hope you all get as much use and enjoyment out of this recipe as we do. Let me know below what you think.
Many thanks for coming by and checking out the recipe. Submit your email to subscribe and don’t be shy, tell your friends!